Antoni Gaudí, the great architect, the one who built the Sagrada Familia, Casa Batlló, La Pedrera … and a series of famous works very amaxing every time we see them. But what did the famous genius do before the big buildings?
When he was a child, little Gaudí discovered the craftsmanship at his father’s boiler shop, helping him or simply observing how he worked, which made him familiarize himself with the perception and creation of space in three dimensions. This led him to experiment with drawing, sculpture and various artistic disciplines that he repeatedly developed throughout his professional life.
In 1867, with fifteen years old, he edited a handwritten magazine in the school with his classmates Josep Ribera and Eduard Toda. This magazine had a circulation of twelve numbers, and Gaudí collaborated with drawings and illustrations. Until 1869, the three young people made a youth proposal for the restoration of the monastery of Poblet, and a few years later the same Toda was the one who was decisively involved in the restoration work, from that first project.
Years later, while studying architecture, he worked as a sketcher with the architect Francesc de P. del Villar y Lozano on the project of the new apse of the Montserrat monastery church. He also collaborated with the works of the Ciutadella Park for the Monumental Waterfall, while working as a boilermaker and learning in different studies of architects and construction masters.
It was 1874, before becoming a qualified architect, when he finished his first project: the general plan for the Cooperativa Obrera Mataronense, the first worker cooperative in the entire State. Gaudí himself was the one who created the flag, thanks to his design knowledge.
In 1878 he finally obtained the title of architect, and opened his professional studio. He made the project for his own work table, finished in wood and metal thanks to Eudald Puntí and Llorenç Matamala, of which we can find the original piece in the Gaudí Exhibition Center. He also drew his professional card, with the address where his worksplace was located, on the 11th of Carrer del Call .
Then he already received private assignments, such as a service kiosk for Enric Girossi and the lighting project for the Plaza Real with the six-arm lanterns, in addition to continuing collaborating with the Cooperativa Obrera Mataronense.